Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Unintended Runaways by Sally Barlow-Perez---Review





What a really lovely little story for a younger reader. It was creative, sweet, and it had some pretty bleak parts in the beginning to reel you in and put you on a certain level with the main characters.
It had amazing, amazing detail. I felt like I was experiencing everything Lia was seeing, touching, and tasting. Every landmark was so tangible, especially the Beautiful Blue Wagon. Although, I'm not one for pictures in books, since this is for a younger audience, I think that would have been perfect addition to really showcase how magical and wonderful the wagon was.


I also truly adored, the character development. It's more noticeable with Lia, but we get such a complete background with these characters; no guessing at who they are and why they are the way they are; it made them so much easier to identify with.

The only real negative about this book was, that it kept the same tempo the whole way through. I was waiting for an insane rush of resolution but instead the story walked to an end; which I am not used to. I was hoping for a tad more action or a bigger climax for these characters, since they definitely deserved it and each individual story begged for it.

Overall, I gave this book 4 stars. It was really refreshing to take a step back, and read something short, and innocent, with characters you root for.
It's out today! So if you are looking for a quick enjoyable read you can pick an up an ebook copy on Amazon, or Barnes and noble.

XOXO
-E


No comments:

Post a Comment